The Gold Coast is a popular destination for travelers from around the world, and with good reason. The natural beauty of this gem of Australia is breathtaking; nature lovers will have a field day with all the marine life, flora and fauna. Those who love an active lifestyle will be kept as busy as they like with water and land sports while those who prefer to party will never be bored.
You can stay on the Gold Coast for months and never run out of things to do—“boredom” is just not in our vocabulary! Here are ten fun things to do on the Gold Coast:
1. Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary is open from 8-4 and a wonderful experience for young and old alike. You can see crocodiles, puppet shows and watch the feeding of Lorikeets, kangaroos, pelicans and eels. Children will love the magic shows, short entertaining lectures on dingoes, wombats and other animals and the magic show. See animals in their natural settings and even get to touch a koala! After hours you can attend the Currumbin Wildnight Adventure, a buffet and night time wildlife tour with tasty food and Aboriginal music, dance and culture.
2. The Gold Coast has several fantastic theme parks, too. Dreamworld and Whitewater World have the tallest and fastest thrill rides in the world. Cyclone Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror, The Claw and Buzzsaw are all rides that will have your heart in your throat and find you getting back into line for one more ride. There are rides for little ones, too, plus the Wiggles Friends appear every day. There is a Perpetual Wave ride, immersive combat experience at Alien vs. Predator, live interactive shows plus special animal attractions like Tiger Island and the Wildlife Experience. You’ll be kept busy for weeks if you go to every one of the theme parks and water parks available!
3. Take a cruise! Gold Coast waterways are more than ten times longer than the ones in Venice; you can travel them in a small motorboat or take a romantic gondola ride. Take a cruise on Moreton Bay and dive or snorkel with the dolphins or do something entirely different with a Tall Ship sailing cruise. You’ll also find dinner cruises, whale watching cruises and island excursions complete with swimming and beach volleyball.
4. Of course, Gold Coast has some of the best Scuba diving and snorkeling in the world. Here you will be able to see the famous coral reefs, hundreds of species of colorful fish and other marine life and wind your way among old shipwrecks. You can hire a charter that caters to every level of experience or rent your own gear and boat. Just remember to always dive with a buddy!
5. Gold Coast surfing is some of the best in the world and you’ll see dozens of surfers at any given time during the day and sometimes at night. Strangely enough, the worst surfing is at a beach called Surfer’s Paradise, which is ideal if you’re just learning to surf.
7. Explore Gold Coast on a scooter! You can rent them at Surfer’s Paradise beach where there are several places to rent from. See the Gold Coast at your own pace with the wind in your hair and the sun on your face. Stop wherever you want, when you want and enjoy the freedom of touring on your own schedule. Watch out for locals who are equipped with water pistols to retaliate against those who are inconsiderate and run them off the walks or run up the gutters.
8. There are several events, carnivals, festivals and marathons happening throughout the year here. You can enjoy music festivals like Blues on Broadbeach or attend the Santuary Cove International Boat Show. Watch the Quiksilver Pro Surfing Titles, the Magic Million Horse Racing Carnival or Surf ‘n Ink, the international tattoo convention. There are film, sculpture, acoustic music and other festivals and even the Purina Bark in the Park!
9. If you like golf you’ll love Gold Coast. In fact, there are more golf courses per person here than anywhere in the world. There are courses designed by the best players, driving ranges and more than a dozen courses open to the public; 9 of those are in the top 100 best in the country. There are several affordably priced courses and you can rent clubs or use your own.
10. The fishing is great around Gold Coast and the continental shelf is just offshore. You can go on a full day fishing safari on a charter boat for marlin, tuna, snapper, sharks and other big game fish or throw a line into the many lakes, creeks, estuaries or the beach.
Bonus To Dos!
11. Gold Coast is no slouch when it comes to night life. It’s a clubber’s paradise with 3 or 4 large nightclubs with regular DJs and dozens of smaller clubs specializing in all sorts of music. Dance to the top tunes at Swingin’ Safari or enjoy the entertainment and outdoor deck that overlooks the beach at Escape Bar & Club. Sin City Nightclub has Vegas décor combined with the sophistication of Paris, a favorite of the Gold Coast elite. Or you can party at Skypoint Bar and marvel at the stunning 360° view of the city’s skyline.
12. If you’re in the mood to be pampered there are more than 20 day spas where you can get a manicure and pedicure, facials, massages and more. Spend an hour or treat yourself to an entire day of luxury. You can even go to a spa for a week with meals, activities and accommodations included in the price for the ultimate indulgence.
13. Of course there are lots of things to do that are free of charge! There’s a day at the beach, of course, but so much more!
National Park in the Hinterland has an ancient rainforest where you can walk beneath a waterfall, play and swim in mountain streams and appreciate the wildlife. O’Reilly’s Tree Top Walk takes you through the canopy of flowering and fruiting trees plus a rainforest boardwalk. There are several museums and art galleries, free festivals and fitness circuits. For children there is Broadwater Parklands with lots of free stuff for kids to do like a jumping castle, water playground and rockpools.
You’ll love Gold Coast and chances are, you’ll want to return every chance you get!
Hope that helps your travel plans!
Terry and the team